Manual installation of the SmartApp is no longer required. Only follow these steps if you have been instructed to do so.
Manually Install the SmartApp
Why is this necessary?
- Get a copy of the SmartApp code
- Log in to the SmartThings developer platform
- Click on the My SmartApps navigation tab at the top of the screen
- Click the New SmartApp button
- Select the "From Code" tab and paste in the code from Step 1.
- Click the 'Create' button at the bottom.
- Click the 'App Settings' button at the top
- Scroll down and expand the OAuth section by clicking the 'OAuth' header/link
- Click the Enable OAuth in Smart App button
- Make note of the OAuth Client ID and OAuth Secret.
Note: These values are unique to your installation.
Pro-tip: Copy these values into an email and send them to yourself so you can reference them on your Android device later
- Scroll down and press the Update button
- Click the Code button in the top-right
- Click the Publish button and from the drop-down, select For Me
- Open SharpTools from your Android app drawer
- Swipe out the left nav-drawer (or click the icon in the top-left of the screen) and select Settings
- Once in the Settings screen, you should see authenticate buttons (don't click these yet), click the menu overflow in the Settings screen and select "Advanced Settings"
- You should now see preferences for Client ID and Client Secret, tap each one and paste in the corresponding value for each noted earlier
- Navigate back to the Settings screen by pressing the back button on your phone or tapping the back button in the top-left of the action bar
- Click the Authenticate button and start the authentication process!
Note: You can long-press on the Authenticate button to start the authentication in Chrome.
If the authentication process doesn't start, try the following trouble-shooting steps:
- Make sure you have published your SmartApp
- Make sure you have copied the Client ID and Client Secret exactly as it was displayed in the SmartThings developer platform
- Double check that the Client ID and Client Secret are now showing in the Advanced Settings screen